For a restaurant to get customers, it is not enough to have the most elaborate and exquisite dishes in the world, but you must also know how to make a proper restaurant copywriting. This is because copywriting is an excellent marketing strategy to boost restaurants.
Copywriting allows you to create a wide variety of messages and hook potential customers on the content. By attracting clients with great copy, you can convince these people to consume the products that you offer in your restaurant to them.
There are many types of restaurant copywriting where strategies can be applied to get more customers. Among them are:
- The restaurant menu
- The restaurant’s social networks
- Restaurant blog
When writing copy for a restaurant, this content should never be thought of as a lifeless informational tool. On the contrary, all these texts must convey the soul of the business and be able to sell emotions.
After all, the role of restaurants is to restore people through food and drink.
1) Be very careful with the words you use
No matter how beautiful your restaurant is, how elegant the whole environment is, if your copy is not up to par, people will not connect, and you could lose potential customers.
For example, you decide to advertise on social networks for your restaurant, and the copy that you use says, “Beautiful and elegant restaurant to celebrate unforgettable evenings.” This is a text that does not generate emotions, despite being correctly written.
Now, imagine that the text says, “In this restaurant, you will find the most delicious natural smoothies prepared with fruits of the season, which will help you feel much better, refreshed and have an extra dose of energy for the rest of the day.”
Without a doubt, this is a much more compelling text that customers could better connect with.
Don’t forget that having the right spelling and grammar at all times is essential for your restaurant copywriting. If you make mistakes, you could get the opposite effect and end up alienating your future customers.
2) Define what is your type of customers
To know what elements your restaurant copywriting should contain, you must know what type of customers you want to attract. To do this, you can ask yourself questions such as, What does my client like? What does not my client like? Why would my client use my service or consume my products?
Other questions that will be useful to you would be How does my client like to be treated? How does my client speak? Is my client a formal or informal customer? What kind of experience does my client want to receive?
To write incredible texts for your restaurant, you must have defined every minimum detail of your customers. In this way, you can connect with your clients, and they will feel excited and attracted by what you are trying to sell them.
Defining your potential clients will not only help you write copy for your restaurant, but it will also help you establish a better restaurant concept and can even help you improve your dishes.
3) Define why you write
Before you start writing, you should have your goals clear. It is not about writing for the sake of writing, but you must establish what you want to achieve with your restaurant copywriting. In this way, you will avoid going around the bush, and you can create clear texts.
For example, it is not the same to write a text for your restaurant’s online description, then for the menu, or for a promotion on your social media. This is very important because even if you have beautiful dishes and visually striking photographs, the truth is that your customers will not be able to savor food through an image.
Your text should serve as a guide to your guests. These should be of excellent quality and help customers trust you, as well as help them connect emotionally with what you sell. Remember, a restaurant should never sell only food, but also experiences.
Restaurant copywriting styles
Copywriting consists of persuading the public through the writing of texts, with which a direct economic benefit can be generated by increasing sales and getting more customers. The idea of this marketing strategy is that, through a well-crafted text, you can guide your potential customers to the final goal, which is for them to consume your products.
Usually, a copywriter’s services specialized in gastronomy are used for this purpose since it is a professional specialized in this sector that can write persuasive texts of excellent quality.
In any case, whether you hire a professional agency or if you decide to do the texts yourself, there are different styles of copywriting that you will need for your restaurant, and these must meet specific characteristics.
The most common types of restaurant text styles are:
1) Restaurant menu
It is very common for restaurants to turn their menu into a simple descriptive list, as they perceive it as little more than an informational tool. However, they are missing out on an excellent opportunity to sell many more dishes by doing so. However, before diving into menu copywriting you should have a food service consultant handle the layout while you handle the copy.
Menu descriptions should go way beyond a list of ingredients with a photo. These descriptions must be able to convey emotions, passion, dedication for what the restaurant does.
To create an excellent restaurant copywriting, you can follow some of these tips:
- The name of the dish: this name should be attractive and represent the dish so well that the customer does not need to read the description to convince themselves to try it.
- Divide the description of each dish into three parts: The dish’s name, the ingredients starting with the most expensive and specifying if there are organic ingredients, and a phrase that helps to represent and sell each plate.
- Divide the menu into categories: You must organize the items on your menu within categories so that it follows a logical order, for example, salads, soups, meats and chickens, fish, desserts, and drinks.
- Highlight the recognized ingredients: This is an opportunity that many restaurants miss. If you use expensive ingredients or a recognized brand, you must specify it in the menu as it will help raise the dish’s value.
- Try to explain some ingredients’ flavors: Everyone knows the taste of chicken, but if you use, for example, “black truffles,” not everyone will be familiar with this flavor, and they will not know what to expect. In these cases, make a small mention of the taste of these ingredients in your menu.
- Plate stories: This is particularly useful for restaurant specials, as you can include a little story behind the inspiration for each preparation. These descriptions are rare and help customers feel more empathy so that you can sell a lot more.
- Attractive photographs: Always use real photos of the dishes they offer, and that these are very visually attractive.
- The appropriate language: Use language that helps customers imagine the taste of the dish; for example, you can include phrases such as “delicious and memorable”, “seasonal aromatic,” or even “fit for the gods”. The imagination is the limit.
By following these tips, you will be able to take your restaurant menu to the next level, and you will be able to attract a more significant number of people to your food establishment in no time. Remember, what doesn’t excite doesn’t sell.
Social networks are part of all people’s life and daily routine, mainly due to the inclusion of smart devices in a massive way. Social media has significant advantages, such as the ability to go viral or a more remarkable ability to interact directly with potential customers.
Nowadays, it is even an everyday activity to check any restaurant’s social networks before making a reservation or going to try some of their dishes, and current users pay close attention to every detail before being convinced.
This is why social networks are perfect for restaurants, so greater engagement with users can be created if an appropriate content strategy is used. Therefore, a significant increase in sales of the restaurant can be achieved.
These are some tips that will help you get much more out of your restaurant’s social networks:
- Add the menu: Not only should you share publications of your dishes, but it is also an excellent idea to show a digital version of your updated menu, preferably with the prices of each dish, since this reflects transparency before potential customers, who appreciate being able to have exact information.
- Daily publications of your dishes: You can continuously share photos, animated Gifs, videos, and texts of your products. Make sure that these images are of excellent quality, look clean, delicious, sharp, and well lit. It is essential to take advantage of the copy space to tell stories about each dish, its ingredients, flavors, and other details that can help your customers feel like trying them.
- Run contests: In addition to striking texts and images, you can also create contests to publicize your brand. The winner can boost your restaurant’s reputation by telling the experience they had on their social networks.
In any case, the copy for social networks should not have thousands of words but should be able to make customers feel hungry and want to try the dish that is being shown to them. A gastronomic copywriter has the ability to woo potential customers with an attractive and quality text on social networks.
Blogs are one of the most powerful tools to sell on the internet. Many restaurants only have a website with information on their menu, and that’s it. By doing this, they lose a great opportunity to get new customers, which is with a blog.
Blogs, as long as they have an excellent well-defined content plan, will be fantastic to be able to achieve a good positioning in the searches. After all, it’s vital that when someone does a restaurant search, they can quickly get to your website.
For this, the content must be made taking into account the different SEO strategies that exist, with texts that provide value and information to future clients. At this moment, you surely think that this is an unnecessary extra expense, but you are very far from reality.
You can write about all the work done in the kitchen, the history behind each dish, the products used when making the preparations, etc. Always taking into account the corresponding optimizations so that these texts are effective.
Although these are information that you as the restaurant owner should know, you may not always have enough time available to write these texts, or you may not know how to do it properly.
If this is your case, you can always hire the service of an experienced gastronomic copywriter. This professional knows the different strategies to ensure the first search places for your website and will also be able to create texts that catch the clients by being specialized in the culinary area.
These services are not usually as expensive as you can imagine. In any case, it is an investment that will help you get a more significant number of customers for your restaurant in the short and medium-term.
Get more customers with restaurant copywriting
As you have seen, for your restaurant to achieve more significant popularity, you must take into account a restaurant copywriting strategy. This strategy will help you get more customers, both through the internet and in your own restaurant.
People who usually go to a restaurant do it not only to eat but also to enjoy and share a good time. So it is essential to let them know that if they go to your restaurant, they will have a unique and unrepeatable experience in the best sense possible.
Remember, with restaurant copywriting, you will be investing directly in your restaurant’s growth since you will be able to get a more significant number of customers than you had ever dreamed of. You can convince more people to try your delicious dishes and have an out-of-this-world experience just by following the advice we have given you.
In any case, if you don’t have the skills to write quality texts for your restaurant for whatever reason (lack of time, knowledge, or others), don’t worry. Fortunately, there are professionals in the area of gastronomic writing who will be more than willing to help you when you need it.